Tuesday, January 30, 2007

3M Perfect Day for a Race

Sunday was a perfect day for a race...

I really didn't have a time goal in mind for this race since I knew I wouldn't be going all out. My main focus was not going out to fast and really work on the mental aspect of my race.

I woke up at 4:30am ready to rock'n roll. Get to the race, immediately run into my training buddy, Jon. A few of us head out to do a mile warm-up then deal with all the minutia before the race starts. I think we had about 2 minutes to spare then we're off. I have given Jon permission to call me out when I start pushing the pace in the first few miles. I kept my eye on him and when he passed people I passed. This is difficult for me. I always end up with runners that have funky strides or bizarre head bobbing and I need to get away from them fast. Yes, I'm learning to ignore this and just hold steady, thanks Jon;)

I totally missed the first mile marker and my hands were so frozen at mile 2 that I couldn't stop my watch so the first 3 miles look as if I ran a steady pace. I know this to be balogne. I am so pace challenged it's pathetic.

My Coach, Sisson, had broken the race down into 3 miles segments for the mental aspect of the race. This happens to be the hardest part for me. I really focused on everything he had talked about especially when we were in the North part of town. For some odd known reason running races through neighborhoods is so distracting to me. I kept telling myself to hold steady.

I kid you not when I say today was a great day for a race. I never got bored, made sure to smile for all the cameras and have perfect form (I really am that vain) and just enjoyed everything. Like I said earlier I didn't go all out and definitely left some speed in the tank, wasn't even sore on Monday;) This isn't my big race I was looking for self-confidence and let me tell you I found it. Boston will be mine!!

Shout-out to my fantastic cheerleaders- Erin, Maggie & Joey on the bike. Kenny- even though I had to yell at him to cheer for me. Jarvis girl near the end, Anna & Bobby for one final push to the finish line. Y'all were awesome!!

Mile Splits
1-3 mi- 8:16
4 mi- 7:49
5 mi- 7:35
6 mi- 8:06
7 mi- 8:00
8 mi- 7:58
9 mi- 8:04
10 mi- 8:10
11 mi- 7:46
12 mi- 7:37
13 mi- 7:39

Total- 1:44:22 PR Baby!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

PR Baby is right.

Go Katie! Go Katie!

Your big fan, --sj

Lulu said...

Yay! Great work girl!!

Erin said...

it was a lot "nicer" to cheer for you than for wiley!
Congrats!

Anonymous said...

great job Katie! I enjoyed cheering even though my toes and fingers were frozen. I had so much fun riding and cheering at the finish. you looked strong, way to go! impressive that you weren't sore on monday.

MW said...

luv the PR!

Unknown said...

Thanks y'all for ALL of your support!!