Thursday, May 24, 2007

Could It Be

I just may have fallen in love with my bike. I'm probably jumping the gun a bit much like I do in my love life or lack there of;) I really think it could be love for me and Belle, not the lezbot kind of love (not that there's anything wrong with that) but my bike's name is Southern Belle and Belle for short. Maybe some day I'll write about her name, for now will stick to the cycling.

I managed to ride 42 miles last week outside. No, this is nothing in comparison to my cycling peeps but I've got to start somewhere. Panther was kind enough to give me weekly mileage goals to get me ready for the Katy Flatlands which I will be doing the 62 mile ride.

Yesterday I rode by myself for the first time granted it was on the Veloway which means NO cars but still I went out and entertained myself. My plan was to get in a few laps before Lulu joined me to hit the Autobahn.

When riding the Veloway it is likely one will see quite a bit of "wild" life out there. You may wonder why they have a yellow warning sign about crossing snakes. I am here to tell you it's there for a reason, there really are crossing snakes. I don't know why this came as a surprise to me, I am known to attract them. I spotted one yesterday on a curve no less. I can't guarantee my steering on curves but managed not to hit this one. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I way-lay one. Argh!!! Me and my so called life with the reptiles. At some point I will blog about my history with these scary creatures;)

9 comments:

Lulu said...

I am glad you are enjoying yourself - sorry I flaked out yesterday. Next Wed night perhaps?

Unknown said...

you're on sister!

no worries, i kinda didn't want to do the autobahn...it was super windy;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am going to do the 62 mile ride too in Katy. It is really fun. The funniest part is riding past some "mcmansions" that people built along a bayou. I entertained myself about thoughts of the alligators coming up from the bayou into their manicured lawns and taking over their swimming pools. hahahha.

Chancelucky said...

Katie,
that was a really funny post. Adding to the funny for me, we have a dog named "Belle", but she didn't come with clip on pedals.

The bit about the snakes is a great image, but I imagine not so fun in real life.

My racking bike is an old Bianchi that I couldn't imagine giving up for anything, certainly nothing carbon fiber. So, I understand what it means to fall in love with a bike. Of course, it gets passed by all these elderly people on funky looking mountain bikes and even cruiser bikes sometimes, but that's my fault not the Bianchi's

Slingshot said...

EEk! I'm glad to say I have yet to see a snake on the veloway. And hope I never do!

Shorey said...

Yeah, not a fan of snakes. Glad you missed it! I'm also glad you're enjoying your bike time - it's very addictive.

KP said...

There's a Samuel L Jackson quote somewhere in your post, just begging to come out...

Jane said...

we need to go riding together soon!

Scott said...

You love your bike? Does it love you? Austin is nice....