Monday, March 26, 2007

The Bike

To bike or not to bike...that's actually a silly statement. I own a bike, a good bike mind you. Granted the tires are extremely flat and I haven't ridden it since it rode on the back of my car when I moved from San Francisco to Austin 2 years ago. Wow! It's been 2 years since I've been on my bike. That is sooo sad. Lately, my running buddies are all blogging about their bike rides/events and it's making me want to get on my bike again. I'm not a strong rider. It's pretty safe to say I suck at it, but one can't get better if they don't keep at it. Keep in mind I only started riding the last 6 months I was living in SF and haven't been on the bike since.

My challenge is I am a control freak and I like to know everything that may potentially go wrong beforehand. I find these things to work in my favor...every worst case scenario I can dream up rarely comes true. I realize this is more than you ever wanted to know about me;)

Geez, where do I start with my bike drama...let's see- bikes are ultra light these days. I know this is a major selling point but I tend to disagree. This scares the crap out of me. I swear if I blink my left eye first my bike is headed left...again I'm not in control. I'm glued to the thing thanks to clipless pedals. I really like to bail on a moments notice and these new pedals don't allow bailing as an option. I think this has something to do with me being commitment phobic. We'll leave the commitment issues alone for now. Last but not least I think my bike has a zillion different gears. I can vaguely remember me never being able to get in my middle chain. It was either little chain or big chain and no I have no idea what any of that means.

Lulu I am going to take you up on your Sat am rides at the Velloway once I'm done with 5k/10k stuff (May). Coop may need some earplugs. I can't be held accountable for the amount of f-bombs I may drop while riding or falling over while standing still. Yes, I've perfected the standing still one second blink you're eye and I'm on my ass in the next.

Secretly I look forward to biking. I need a new challenge and something that's going to push me to a new level.

11 comments:

Lulu said...

Believe it or not, Coop has heard one or two f-bombs in his day. Luckily he watches a video while he rides the bike with me, so he pretty much tunes any other noise out.

And don't worry about being spazzy. Every time I ride with Panther he makes at least one comment similar to, "Wow. You didn't do anything completely idiotic today". I am pretty clutsy and spazzy myself. So, I'll be glad to have ya!!

Unknown said...

You're on!

Granted I won't be done with 5k/10k until May, but that gives me time to get my bike to the shop for a tune-up (i like to procrastinate until the last minute) and squeeze in some spin classes to re-engage the quads. Yippee!

Lulu said...

Yay! I am looking forward to it :)

Anonymous said...

Katie,
come join us for a bike ride! I'm only riding 60 next weekend ;-p
seriously, I have yet to meet anyone who sucks more than me on the bike. It will be fun.

MW said...

Great, more people cycling.
I'm not feeling liek I'm missing out at all! Seriously, I'm not!

Mike said...

I want to ride the veloway with you guys....can I ride on my mountain bike without a helmet?

Eff yeah I can.

Jane said...

Yay! Katie, you will not be alone when you fall over standing still...I've done that one already.

I love that you're getting on the bike again, it's early in my training, but I'm loving it!!

Erin said...

Katie,
I should email you the pictures of Leslie during her first bike attempt on Saturday. I guarantee that you will survive your fall(s), and I've heard some guys think that the athletic wounds are sexy!

Beware, though - Lulu is a biking maniac!! She rocks.

I can't wait til we all bike around together. MikeW will be so jealous!

Buzz said...

New post please. That is all you ever comment on my blog, so that is all I'll comment on yours. Although adding the extra sentances to the "new post please" comment really makes mine kick your ass.

Unknown said...

Buzz- if anything you should get stars for your "spelling" abilities;)

Panther said...

I didn't know that bikes had "drama." I guess with Katie, ANYTHING can have drama?

Can't wait to see you out there on wheels.