Sunday, February 11, 2007

What's My Purpose?

I'm talking about my purpose for the AT&T Marathon not my life purpose...that one I don't think I'll ever figure out. We'll keep this post simple.

Tonight was our pre-marathon dinner where Coach Sisson gives us a "sermon" before the marathon. He had 5 key points to think about over the next 7 days the main one for me to figure out is my purpose for this race. Apparently, qualifying for Boston is not deep enough. I tend to agree with him on this one.

I'm not sure that I know how to define my purpose for this race. I think it has more to do with me driving myself through the pain/hardship mentally, to not give up when the going gets tough, to keep putting one foot in front of the other no matter what my brain is telling me, and more importantly to trust myself ("trust in your training, Frank"). I've done the mileage, driven the course, visualized the course (this thing is unforgiving), now I just need to show up, execute and enjoy it. That last part sounds sick I know but if you've run a marathon you know what I'm talking about. Six months of training comes down to 1 day- ENJOY IT!!!

It's going to be a great race!!!

2 comments:

Buzz said...

I agree that a time goal isn't enough. I struggled to find something else last year to help push me and honestly didn't figure it out until about 8:00 PM the night before the marathon, but then slept like a baby. You'll figure it out.

MW said...

I'll enjoy it, once it's done!
Ringers post run!
Yeah!