Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Taper Time

As they say all good things must come to an end...I realize that sounds bizarre once you see that I'm talking about marathon training. Don't get me wrong the training is often brutal and tiring but taper is crazy time for me.

Taper brings out the beast in me. My cravings for junk/fattening food gets out of control. I kid you not I had a big huge family size bag of plain m&ms last week as well as a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Not to worry it wasn't at the same time. I rarely eat like this except for now. The need for insane amounts of alcohol escalates- I think there is a fear of not ever having another drink again- 2 weeks can seem like forever. Sleep can't get enough of it. I wouldn't be surprised if I was asleep by 8:30pm tonight. Last but not least an easy 30 minute run feels like I'm running a marathon. This one freaks me out the most...I start to wonder how the heck I'm going to run another 3+ hours on top of this.

The final kicker for today's taper madness...I checked our running forum to read a post from a speedy nerd in our group- we'll keep him anonyomous this go 'round. He apparently goes to some website to see weather conditions 15 days in advance. As of today Feb 18th will be about 57 degrees- with wind and rain. Honestly, this isn't anything I want to know about quite yet...I'm crossing my fingers this is just a wrong prediction from the weatherman. A girl's gotta have hope;)

8 comments:

Buzz said...

Do you mean the same weathermen that said that we were going to be in an arctic blast, down into the teens? Those weathermen? Yeah I belive those guys, I'm going to put on some shorts and enjoy this 75 degree weather.

Lulu said...

You're going do great Katie - Taper Madness is a beast. But you can tame it - AND the marathon!!

holly said...

You're going to kick butt at the marathon regardless of what some weatherman said. Don't start stressing about the weather until it looks more definate. At lthis point it'll only drive you crazy :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I love it!

holly said...

I think M&M's and Ice Cream are important food groups. They fit in with girl scout cookies, wine, and cheese :)

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't see how they didn't make it onto the food pyramid???

MW said...

I hadn't bought a pack of chips out of a vending machine in many many many MANY years.

Today, i spent $0.85 on some.
Ridiculous.

Donald said...

For the record, I always go crazy during taper periods. It's unavoidable, so don't worry about it.

And it's WAY too early to start watching weather forecasts!