Monday, February 12, 2007

Can One Have Fun While Running a Marathon?

A few days ago I was exchanging e-mails with a very handsome man that I don't know very well and am pretty sure he's a big playboy. Flirting is good for everyone;) For some odd known reason he offered to run part of the marathon with me. Remember I said I don't know him very well so I took this as a strange offering but one I wouldn't pass up since I'm not sure what I'll feel like in that last 10K.

The more I thought about it the more I realized I didn't want to share this moment with him. I don't know how he runs or if he's even fast enough (humor me on the fast part), can he handle it if I get emotional or more than likely as I get bitchy towards the end. Running for me is very personal. I want to share this moment with the people I've been training with, people I've trained with in the past, friends that have had to listen to me bitch, moan, and groan for the past 6 months, the strangers that come out to cheer their loved ones on, volunteers & the people I'll meet on the course. These are the people I want to share this moment with.

I did get lucky and this handsome man will be out of town. The whole point of this post is he said I hope you have a fantastic time. He stopped himself and asked "Can someone have fun while running a marathon"? This question made me smile and without hesitation I answered yes, one can have fun while running a marthon. I love this question and it came at just the right time as my nerves are on high and I become obsessed with every little aspect of the race the question slows me down and reminds me to enjoy it.

BRING IT ON!!!

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Cute... I feel like you are leaving out some details though... HA!!

Mike said...

Hey, this marathon is going to be too much fun. So, so much fun. More fun than the Rolling Stones in Zilker. Yeah, I said it.

Speaking of, guess who is coming into town this weekend, who today asked me if he could crash at my place on Saturday night, to which I of course said, "HELL NO!"

Somebody buy him a beer at the finish line, please!

Unknown said...

Damn Craig he's everywhere!! Way to stand your ground!

Yes, it's gonna be fun!!

Buzz said...

I agree, no strangers, on a marathon.

Green Gum Makes Everything Fun!

Erin said...

Yes, you will have a fantastic time. (Even if you don't, you won't be able to remember the pain once it's over. That's the funny thing about marathons. And childbirth. So I hear. Uh, anyway...)

MW said...

You're going to ROCK!
and you know it!

Jane said...

"You are an Ass Kicker!" - Buzz

You are gonna rock this marathon, Katie! I'm going to find you when my half is over and will do my best to cheer you in to the end!

I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it. I know, I'm weird ;-)

Besides you don't want to chance it having anyone anywhere near you who might drain your energy. You're gonna need all of that for yourself...and take Tim, Sharon, and my advice from last year: Steal as much energy from the crowd as you can. Especially late in the race.

Tiffany said...

GOOOOOOOOD LUCK!! I will keep posted ASAP for the online results.

You got it, giiiiiiiirl :)